A new week means a new recipe, and today we have coconut coffee cream pie! All the deliciousness of coconut cream pie with the added awesomeness of coffee...could it get any better? I submit to you that it cannot.
This recipe was super easy to make, so beginners and non-bakers can feel confident to give it a whirl.
6 heaping spoonfuls of CAcafe coconut coffee
1 cup of sweetened flaked coconut
3 cups of half-and-half
¾ cup white sugar
½ cup of all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1 (9 inch) pie shell
1 cup frozen whipped topping
1. To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Take the one cup of flaked coconut and spread it out on a baking sheet.
3. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure you stir the coconut around halfway through the baking time to evenly brown all that scrumptious coconut! I baked my coconut flakes for an extra 2 minutes to make them extra crispy, but be careful with the time! The flakes can go from perfectly browned to burnt very quickly.
4. Next add the half-and-half, white sugar, all-purpose flour, and salt into a medium sauce pan. Stir to combine then put on low heat over the stove. My stove has a range of 1-10 heat, and I put mine on a 3. Stir constantly, making sure to scrape the bottom. It should begin to boil slowly and thicken.
5. Continue to stir for 2 minutes after this happens. Remove the pie filling from the heat and stir in 6 heaping spoonfuls of CAcafe Coconut Coffee. If using unsweetened coffee, then add the vanilla extract at this point as well. I left out the vanilla extract since I was using CAcafe Sweetened Coconut Coffee.
6. Stir until the CAcafe Coconut Coffee is completely mixed in.
7. Add ¾ cup of the roasted flaked coconut into the mixture, leaving ¼ cup of the coconut to top the finished pie.
8. Pour your coconut coffee cream pie mixture into your pie shell. I used a graham cracker crust, but if you are using a crust made from dough, make sure it is already baked.
9. Place pie in the fridge and chill until firm. This will take about 4 hours, but I just left it overnight.
10. Finally, thaw the whipped topping and top the pie with it. If you wanted an extra kick of coffee in this pie, then fold in one spoonful of CAcafe Coconut Coffee into the whipped topping. Dollop onto the pie and then use remaining coconut flakes to decorate.
Note: This recipe was adapted from allrecipes.com.